Behavioral Science in Digital Health: Moving From Buzz to Impact
Guest: John Sharp, MSSA, PMP
October 11, 12 p.m. ET
Digital health companies are increasingly interested in incorporating behavioral science into the development of their products. They are well aware that the leading causes of death--cardiovascular disease, cancer, pulmonary disease, and diabetes--are all heavily influenced by lifestyle habits. An extraordinary opportunity exists to improve public health and reduce the healthcare burden via technology that can successfully change behavior. Partnerships between technology developers and behavioral scientists could literally change the world. In this chat, we will discuss how behavioral scientists and the digital health industry can better work together to push a more impactful health agenda forward. We’ll discuss the key burning questions in the digital health industry that behavioral scientists can help solve. We’ll discuss behavioral science approaches that have been underutilized in the digital health space. Finally we’ll discuss the different ways behavioral scientists and industry can work together and how to overcome the barriers to developing productive working relationships across the academic-industry sectors.
Dr. Pagoto and Mr. Sharp discussed the following questions.
- What are the burning questions right now in the #digitalhealth industry that behavioral scientists can help to solve?
- What are different ways that behavioral scientists can communicate their science to the #digitalhealth industry?
- What are the barriers to behavioral scientists and industry professionals working together, and what are some solutions to those barriers?
- Behavioral science is often equated to behavioral economics, but its umbrella includes so much more. What are other approaches to emphasize?
- There is a lot of excitement around personalizing behavior change technologies, but the research on such approaches is very mixed. What are some future directions for “personalized behavioral medicine”?
Transcript link to share: http://wke.lt/w/s/CTpLc