Family and Diabetes
Guest: Peers for Progress
November 14, 10 a.m. ET
On World Diabetes Day, November 14, 2019, Dr. Allyson Hughes hosted a chat with Peers for Progress.
Dr. Hughes and Peers for Progress discussed the following questions:
1. Not all people with diabetes have social support from family members or communities (e.g., nuclear family, guardians, extended family, friends, colleagues, classmates). What do you think helps or hinders social support?
2. What do you wish more people (including family members!) knew about diabetes?
3. Researchers, people with diabetes, and caregivers alike, what diabetes articles, books, podcasts, and resources do you think are “must reads”? This can include other types of reading and media as well!
4. How are your families positively and negatively affected by diabetes and what are the best strategies you suggest to help families adapt?
5. Please share a story of how cultural factors can impact a person’s experience of diabetes.
Transcript link to share: https://wke.lt/w/s/SaNh-S