Resources for Developing a Syllabus
To facilitate curriculum development across the field of behavioral medicine, SBM's Education, Training, and Career Development Council maintains these resources for courses taught by professionals within the various disciplines of behavioral medicine.
SBM Partnership with Society for the Teaching of Psychology
We have partnered with the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP), as they maintain a website that hosts syllabi that their members have reviewed and consider to be exemplary - "Project Syllabus." This partnership between SBM and STP is intended to promote syllabus sharing across our societies — SBM members are able to freely download syllabi from this website. In return, STP encourages SBM members to submit our syllabi for inclusion in "Project Syllabus," using the peer review process outlined on their website.
STP hosts syllabi for courses that focus on any number of topics related to psychology, and the field of health psychology clearly overlaps substantially with the field of behavioral medicine (e.g., health applications of psychology, psychology of chronic illness, behavioral counseling strategies to prevent disease, chronic disease self-management strategies). The current syllabi on the STP website are geared towards instruction of undergraduates and graduates in Psychology, but SBM members are also encouraged to submit syllabi from other disciplines (e.g., medicine, nursing, and public health), so long as they strongly incorporate psychology principles. SBM members who are uncertain as to whether their syllabus fits the umbrella of Health Psychology substantively enough to submit their syllabus are invited to contact the STP “Project Syllabus” lead by e-mail to inquire if the course content would be within the scope of STP’s resources.
Develop Your Syllabus With These Resources
- View syllabi from STP’s peer-reviewed syllabus list (“Project Syllabus”).
- See other relevant resources
Why Should I Consider Submitting My Syllabus for Peer Review?
- Promotions: Getting a syllabus accepted into the STP Project Syllabus is a unique way to demonstrate the national prominence of your educational activities when going up for academic promotion in your institution
- Go from good to great: The peer-reviewed process can strengthen an excellent syllabus to make it outstanding:
- The STP rubric ensures you will receive feedback from peers on several areas of educational best practice, including student engagement, use of innovative educational strategies, and course design/evaluation
How to Submit Your Syllabus for STP Peer Review
- Submit your own syllabus for review for inclusion in “Project Syllabus."
- Before submitting, you are welcome to contact the STP “Project Syllabus” lead by e-mail at email@example.com to inquire if the course content would be within the scope of STP’s resources.
- PLEASE NOTE – this process is much like submitting a manuscript for peer review — it is typical to receive suggestions for modifications from the STP Project Syllabus team.
- You can find the rubric that STP uses to evaluate syllabi here.
The Society of Behavioral Medicine does not necessarily endorse the curriculum or ideas conveyed by the contents of this database.