Honors, Awards and Publications
HONORS / AWARDS
Jill Bormann, PhD, RN, Research Nurse Scientist and Chair of VA Nursing Research Advisory Group at VA San Diego Healthcare System, received a Spirit of Planetree Program Award for "best complementary therapy" represented by the Mantram Repetition for Relaxation program.
Linda E. Carlson, PhD, Associate Professor at the University of Calgary, received the Canadian Association of Psychosocial Oncology Award for Research Excellence.
Jennifer Ellen Lee, PhD, University of Iowa Post Doctoral Fellow and Coe College Adjunct Professor of Psychology, was awarded an American Pain Society Future Leaders in Pain grant and a Midwest Pain Society trainee grant.
Vanessa L. Malcarne, PhD, Professor at San Diego State University, will be presented with the American Psychosocial Oncology Society's 2011 Outstanding Education & Training Award at the APOS 8th Annual Conference in Anaheim, CA, February 17-19, 2011.
Latrice C. Pichon, PhD, MPH, CHES, Assistant Professor in the School of Public Health at The University of Memphis, is a recipient of the Health Disparities Research Loan Repayment Program, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities, National Institutes of Health. She also has been selected to participate as a mentee in the 2-year APA Cyber Mentors program to train junior investigators to become independent HIV prevention researchers.
Carol E. Rogers, PhD, RN, APRN-BC, Arizona State University, received the 2010 John G. Lingenfelter Geriatrics Research Scholarship Award from the Arizona Geriatrics Society.
K. Vish Viswanath, PhD, Associate Professor at Harvard University received the Outstanding Health Communication Scholar Award for 2010 by the National Communication Association and the International Communication Association.
- Adebiyi AO, Faseru B, Sangowawa AO and Owoaje ET. Tobacco use amongst out of school adolescents in a Local Government Area in Nigeria. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 2010 Oct 18;5:24. PMID: 20955555.
- Aggarwal B, Liao M, Allegrante JP, Mosca L. Low Social Support Level is Associated with Non- Adherence to Diet at 1-Year in the Family Intervention Trial for Heart Health (FIT Heart). J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010 Nov-Dec;42(6):380-8. Epub 2010 Aug 8. PMID: 20696617.
- Aggarwal B, Liao M, Mosca L. Predictors of Physical Activity at 1-Year in a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2010 Nov-Dec;25(6):444-9.PMID: 20856131.
- Aggarwal B, Mosca L. Lifestyle and Psychosocial Risk Factors Predict Non-Adherence to Medication. Ann Behav Med. 2010 Oct;40(2):228-33. PMID: 20668975.
- Birnie K, Garland SN, Carlson LE. Psychological benefits for cancer patients and their partners participating in mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR). Psychooncology. 2010 Sep;19(9):1004-9. PMID: 19918956.
- Buman MP, Hekler EB, Haskell WL, Pruitt L, Conway TL, Cain KL, Sallis JF, Saelens BE, Frank LD, King AC. Objective light-intensity physical activity associations with rated health in older adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Nov 15;172(10):1155-65. Epub 2010 Sep 15. PMID: 20843864.
- Burne B, Knafelc V, Melonis M, Heyn PC. The use and application of assistive technology to promote literacy in early childhood: a systematic review. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2010 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20923322.
- Carlson LE, Groff S, Maciejewski O, Bultz BD. Screening for distress in lung and breast cancer outpatients: A randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Nov 20;28(33):4884-91. Epub 2010 Oct 12. PMID: 20940193.
- Carlson LE, Speca M. (In Press April 2010). Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery: A step-by-step MBSR approach to help you cope with treatment and reclaim your life. New Harbinger: Oakland, CA.
- Chai W, Nigg CR, Pagano IS, Motl RW, Horwath C, Dishman RK. Associations of quality of life with physical activity, fruit and vegetable consumption, and physical inactivity in a free living, multiethnic population in Hawaii: a longitudinal study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010 Nov 22;7:83. PMID: 21092223.
- DePue J, Rosen RK, Batts-Turner M, Bereolos N, Goldstein MG, House M, Held RF, Nuusolia O, Tuitle J, McGarvey ST. Cultural translation of interventions: diabetes care in American Samoa. Am J Public Health. 2010 Nov;100 (11):2085-2093. PMID: 20864729.
- Deshields TL, Nanna SK. Providing care for the "whole patient" in the cancer setting: the psycho-oncology consultation model of patient care. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2010 Sep;17(3):249-57. PMID: 20799056.
- Dishman RK, Vandenberg RJ, Motl RW, Nigg CR. Using constructs of the transtheoretical model to predict classes of change in regular physical activity: a multi-ethnic cohort study. Ann Behav Med. 2010 Oct;40(2):150-63. PMID: 20552417.
- Emery CF, Anderson DR, Andersen BL (2011). Psychological interventions in health care settings. In D. Barlow (Ed.). Oxford Handbook of Clinical Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press. New York. pp. 701-716.
- Engelman KK, Daley CM, Gajewski BJ, Ndikum-Moffor F, Faseru B, Braiuca S, Joseph S, Ellerbeck EF, Greiner KA. An Assessment of American Indian Women's Mammography Experiences. BMC Womens Health. 2010 Dec 15;10(1):34. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21159197.
- Faseru B, Daley CM, Gajewski B, Pacheco CM and Choi WS. A longitudinal study of tobacco use among American Indian and Alaska Native tribal college students. BMC Public Health. 2010 Oct 18;10:617. PMID: 20955575.
- Faseru B, Turner M, Casey G, Ruder C, Befort C, Ellerbeck EF, Richter KP. Evaluation of a hospital-based tobacco treatment service: outcomes and lessons learned. J Hosp Med. 2010 Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 21108248.
- Fuemmeler BF, Ostbye TO, Yang C, McClernon FJ, and Kollins SH. Association between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms and obesity and hypertension in early adulthood: a population-based study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20975727.
- Graham AL, Cobb NK, Papandonatos GD, Moreno JL, Kang H, Tinkelman DG, Bock BC, Niaura RS, & Abrams DB. A Randomized Trial of Internet and Telephone Treatment for Smoking Cessation. Archives of Internal Medicine, 171(1):46-53, 2011.
- Heckman CJ, Egleston BL, Hofmann, MT. Efficacy of motivational interviewing for smoking cessation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Tob Control. 2010 Oct;19(5):410-6. Epub 2010 Jul 30. PMID: 20675688.
- Held RF, DePue J, Rosen R, Bereolos N, Goldstein M, House M, Nu'usolia O, McGarvey S. Patient and health care provider views of depressive symptoms and diabetes in American Samoa. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2010 Oct;16(4):461-67. PMID: 21058808.
- Hwang KO, Ottenbacher AJ, Lucke JF, Etchegaray JM, Graham AL, Thomas EJ, Bernstam EV. Measuring social support for weight loss in an Internet weight loss community. Journal of Health Communication,0;1-14, 2011. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2010.535106.
- Levy DT, Mabry PL, Graham AL, Orleans CT, & Abrams DB. Exploring Scenarios to Dramatically Reduce Smoking Prevalence: A Simulation Model of the Three-Part Cessation Process. American Journal of Public Health, 100(7):1253-9, 2010. PMID: 20466969.
- Liu Y, Pérez M, Schootman M, Aft RL, Gillanders WE, Ellis MJ, Jeffe DB. A longitudinal study of factors associated with perceived risk of recurrence in women with ductal carcinoma in situ and early-stage invasive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Dec;124(3):835-44. Epub 2010 May 6. PMID: 20446031.
- Lounsberry JJ, MacRae H, Angen M, Hoeber M, Carlson LE. (2010) Feasibility Study of a Telehealth Delivered, Psychoeducational Support Group for Allogeneic Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients. Psychooncology. 2010 Jul;19(7):777-81. PMID: 19653332.
- Mâsse LC, Nigg CR, Basen-Engquist K, Atienza AA. Understanding the mechanism of physical activity behavior change: challenges and a call for action. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2011 Jan;12(1):1-6.
- Nigg CR, Geller KS, Motl RW, Horwath CC, Wertin KK, Dishman RK. A research agenda to examine the efficacy and relevance of the transtheoretical model for physical activity behavior. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2011 Jan;12(1):7-12. PMID: 21113323.
- Pérez M, Liu Y, Schootman M, Aft R, Schechtman KB, Gillanders WE, Jeffe DB. Changes in sexual problems over time in women with and without early-stage breast cancer. Menopause. 2010 Sep-Oct;17(5):924-37. PMID: 20461020.
- Rogers, C. E., Keller, C., Larkey, L., Ainsworth, B. (2010). Meditative movement for prevention of functional decline among older adults. Arizona Geriatrics Society Journal. 2010.15(2),13-16.
- Sauer AL, Parks A, Heyn PC. Assistive technology effects on the employment outcomes for people with cognitive disabilities: A systematic review. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2010;5(6):377-91. PMID: 20392190.
- Tauras JA, Levy D, Chaloupka FJ, Villanti AC, Niaura RS, Vallone DM, Abrams DB. Menthol and non-menthol smoking: the impact of prices and smoke-free air laws. Addiction. 2010;105 (Suppl. 1):115-123.
- Upshur C, Bacigalupe G, Luckmann R. "They dont want anything to do with you:" Patient views of primary care management of chronic pain. Pain Med. 2010 Dec;11(12):1791-8. PMID: 21029353.
- Villanti AC, McKay HS, Abrams DB, Holtgrave DR, Bowie JV. Smoking-Cessation Interventions for U.S. Young Adults: A Systematic Review. Am J Prev Med 2010;39(6):564-574.